AKA “Winter Vegetable Stew”
So the story behind this very quick and simple vegan recipe is that it is actually based off of a recipe that my dad found in one of Rachel Ray’s 30-Minute cookbooks. He modified the original recipe slightly, adding and subtracting ingredients, and it quickly became a family staple as well as a favorite meal for us during the long, cold winter months. This meal is quick, healthy and it freezes well in the freezer to save so you can make a lot at once for future meals. Since this is a vegan and vegetarian recipe, if you’re a meat eater, simply grill up some chicken sausages on the stove or grill, slice them up, and add them just prior to serving. This recipe makes 4 servings.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 1 pound of crimini mushrooms, halved
- 3 medium size zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces (half a can) garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped fine (don’t use dried)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- Flake Salt to taste
- In a medium pot over moderate heat, saute the garlic and mushrooms in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add zucchini and onion, and season with salt and pepper.
- Saute another 5 minutes.
- Add garbanzo beans, cumin, tomatoes and rosemary.
- Bring to a bubble, reduce heat to simmer and leave on heat for 10-15 minutes.
*Serve with fresh toasted or grilled bread, rubbed with garlic and drizzled with olive oil.
**Wine Recommendation: Try a Rhone-style wine, preferably Syrah or Mourvedre. Look for a wine from California’s Paso Robles area. Australian Shiraz will likely be too big and oaky.
you are truly a just right webmaster. The web site loading pace is amazing. It seems that you are doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve done a great process in this matter!
I am no longer sure the place you’re getting your information, however great topic. I needs to spend some time finding out more or figuring out more. Thank you for excellent information I used to be in search of this information for my mission.
Leave a comment